DataLife Engine > Music, Surround Sound > International festival of 5.1 Surround Sound artwork
International festival of 5.1 Surround Sound artwork
29 August 2009. Ðàçìåñòèë:
Redhouse is a nonprofit cultural center, located in the trendy Armory Square district of Syracuse, NY. RedHouse will host an international biennial festival of 5.1 Surround Sound artwork, from September 17 through September 27. This program will travel to partnering organizations from Delhi, India to Providence, RI to Montreal, Canada through 2010.
((audience)) is an unprecedented project that explores the cinema as a 21st century concert hall. Conceived in 2006, ((audience)) is dedicated to the advancement of aural arts by providing wide distribution and new contexts for works by emerging and established sound artists and composers.
((audience)) at RedHouse will consist of six nights of programming, each exploring a different perspective on the cinema as concert hall.
• Thursday, September 17, 5-8 p.m. “Last Wishes,” a kinetic, in the dark installation consisting of several light ‘paintings’ by the artist known as mudboy, opens in the Joan Lukas Rothenberg Gallery on the second floor of Red House. The kinetic paintings use handmade optical projectors, LED lights and open source 8 bit controller technology to project a constant moving image.
• Friday, September 18, 7 p.m. Live Performances of experimental music on RedHouse stage featuring five unique and innovative artists. The Loud Objects perform live 1-bit circuit bending on an overhead projector. Zach Layton and MV Carbon play sitar, cello, electronics and feedback.
• Saturday, September 19, 7 p.m. The Main Program is the centerpiece of the ((audience)) festival, featuring 21/2 hours of surround sound works by eight international artists. Presented “in the dark” with full 5.1 Surround Sound, the evening will be an immersive experience in cinematic audio. The ((audience)) Main Program consists of works by Jamie Allen, Bryan Jacobs, Loud Objects, Simona Brinkmann, Natasha Barrett, Emmanuel Madan & Anna Friz, Cedric Maridet and a Syracuse exclusive by Uli Schuster.
• Thursday, September 24, 7 p.m. Music on All Sides explores the use of 5.1 Surround Sound as it applies to experimental music. The evening will once again be presented “in the dark.” Featuring the work of John Hudak, R. Luke DuBois and Brett Balogh & Stephen Hastings-King.
• Friday, September 25, 7 p.m. Cinema for the Eyes and Ears: The Psychedelic Video Mix, composed of fractals, stochastic structures, autumn leaves, sprouting seeds, nebulae and one pumping stereo soundtrack, features work by Sean Niessen, Dave Fischer, Sam Pellmann & Miranda Raimondi and Michael Northam. mudboy’s “dark cinema psycho drama” Psicklops will follow at 9 p.m.
• Sunday, September 27, 2 p.m. Join the curators of ((audience)) and Red House staff for a very special event. The Karaoke Brunch combines elements of live karaoke, coffee and waffles from Funk N’ Waffles.